One state will often set a legal precedence for other states to follow. Domestic workers have recently been the subject of an initiative led by lawmakers to provide several employee rights in the state of New York. There are approximately 260,000 domestic workers in the state.
Under the proposed laws, domestic workers will receive guaranteed overtime pay, guaranteed time off and sexual harassment rights. The bill is currently under final approval and will be the first of its kind in the nation. The governor of the state is eager to sign and approve the bill.
The bill is the result of advocates for domestic workers that reveal employees’ experiences include extensive abuse and insufficient wages. Changes in the law will promote a safer and friendlier work environment for all types of domestic workers. Some of the benefit will include:
- Live-in employees will receive 1.5 times the normal rate for working more than 44 hours per week.
- Caretakers will get overtime pay when working more than 40 hours per week.
- Three paid days of vacation after the first anniversary.
- A minimum of 24 consecutive hours off per week.
- Minimum federal wage of $7.25 per hour
The state of California also has domestic workers advocacy groups that are asking lawmakers for the same employee rights.
When employees receive the legal protections that they deserve, it fosters an improved workplace. If you are interested in learning more about your rights as a domestic worker, then you should contact Shegerian & Associates today!